Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 4, the hike from hell...

The day started off well, there was no stretching class so I stayed in the room and Skyped with my beautiful wife and kids.  It was nice to see them and hear daddy daddy daddy.  Even though this only the 5th day away from them I miss them a ton.  At 7:15 it was breakfast time once again.  This time it was hot museli and mixed fruit.  The meal was good, it came with either rice or almond milk and was really tasty.  I added a little Truvia, and it was great.  Once again I am going to just post a slideshow and a link to the web album instead of putting all the pictures in the post to save time and get caught up.  Here they are:




Here is a link to the web album.

Next came the hike, and a world of pain.  This hike is called Reverse Zuma.  It was touted as the most difficult hike by the other campers.  This definitely turned out to be the case.  The scenery was beautiful, but the hike was straight up, straight down, straight up, straight down and back over and back of a mountain.  Making it the 3 miles in was not so bad, but going back nearly killed my ankles.  I didn't rest the entire walk back so I did a good job, but I was afraid my ankles were going to cause me to miss classes for the rest of the day.  We even got back late and luckily my next class was stretching.

Stretching was a nice relaxing one, and after that was lunch.  My ankles were killing me, but I found the energy to make it to the lunch table.  For lunch we had a turkey sandwich and mixed salad.  Once again it was great, the turkey was preservative free organic stuff and tasted great.  I skipped the cooking demo class (I bought the cookbook and come on, I know how to cook) and went and soaked my ankles in the hot tub for about 45 minutes.  That is what saved the rest of my day.  If you come here do not be afraid to take a rest to make sure you can continue.  Lots of people here are coming back because they had to leave injured their first trip.

After the soak I went to a water class, followed by a new class for me called Treading.  This class was hard, but probably one I will do at the gym when I get home.  It is broken up like this on your cardio machine of choice:
5 minute warmup

5 minutes hard as you can go
5 minutes back at warm up pace

4 minutes hard as you can go
4 minutes back at warm up pace


3 minutes hard as you can go
3 minutes back at warm up pace

2 minutes hard as you can go
2 minutes back at warm up pace

1 minutes hard as you can go
1 minutes back at warm up pace

1 minutes hard as you can go
1 minutes back at warm up pace

3-5 minutes of stretching

It is a very rewarding class and goes fast.  

My final class was ball works which was a resistance class with those huge workout balls you sit on.  It was challenging and gave a great workout.  

Last but not least was dinner.  It was a stuffed bell pepper with asparagus and rice.  Once again excellent food and even though I was ravenous I was full when I left the dinner hall.  There was no first week lecture after dinner so I spent about 45 minutes in the hot tub recovering for the day.  Felt great.  Ok, now onto day 5.  Feel good to have this caught up at 5:30AM in the morning.

No comments: